Tuesday, January 4, 2011

It's a Start.

New year!  New blog…..   I’m Kim and with my husband Michael and two sons, Lucas and Sawyer – we are the Korn family - like the vegetable, but with K.   Or depending on your age and interest in music - like the and. 
Michael and I have been married now for 6 years, together for 7.  Lucas James was born in September 2006 and Sawyer Bailey Dawson (yes, it’s a mouthful, but he’s probably our last and we wanted to use our moms’ maiden names) was born in June of this year.  We live in Portland, OR.  I’m a transplant from Oklahoma (8 years ago), Michael was born and raised here.  I love the Sooners, he loves the Ducks.  But despite that, we actually still like each other.  I turned 35 in October and am grappling with the idea that I’m no longer part of the core demographic of 18-34. 
What?  You want to hear about my kids?  Well, I suppose it’s only fair to admit that Sawyer is, in fact, a genius and has been crawling for a few weeks now.  Okay, so not crawling 100%, but it's almost there.  And he's STILL a genius.  Lucas NEVER STOPS DOING THINGS and ALWAYS HAS IMPORTANT THINGS TO SAY.  He’s funny (he’s a genius, too) and he doesn't spit up nearly as much as the other one.  Oh, and did I mention how darn cute they are?  No?  Well....they are.  Trust me, I have pictures to prove it! 
See? 

I love talking about pop culture, in case you didn’t already know.  I love, love, love pop culture.  If pop culture had a face, I’d lick it.  I have no shame.  And yes, I read the gossip magazines.  Again, no shame.  I have a subscription to Entertainment Weekly to balance out the loss of IQ points due to my subscription to US Weekly. 
I enjoy reading, so if you have any recommendations, let me hear it.  Before you ask, yes, I’ve read the Twilight series and I’m neither Team Edward nor am I Team Jacob.  I only read the first one out of sheer curiosity and the need to know what all the fuss was about.  I read the rest of the series because I needed to know if it was possible for the characters to get more obnoxious.  They did. 
The same sort of curiosity is how I got roped into reading The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo.  I’ll be honest, the first one was good, but if the author hadn’t died so suddenly, I just don’t think anyone would have been so interested.  It was good enough that I read The Girl Who Played With Fire, and I have to admit that it’s got me hooked.  I’ve just finished The Help and just got a notice from the library that Tim Gunn is there waiting for me.  Unfortunately, NOT the real thing.  Oh, how I adore him.  Nope, just his book.  Gunn’s Golden Rules:  Life’s Little Lessons for Making It Work. 
I’m pretty addicted to true crime shows (First 48, Forensic Files, and The Investigators are all great when you’re up in the middle of the night with a baby!), reality TV (Project Runway, The Rachel Zoe Project and Big Brother are favorites) and paranormal TV - GhostHunters, Ghost Adventures, and Paranormal State (not really great when you're up in the middle of the night with a baby.).  I’ve recently discovered Modern Family and have DVR’d every episode of Hawaii Five-O (but have only watched two of them so far).  I also DVR reruns of 90210 and Dr. Quinn, Medicine Woman (shhh – don’t’ tell anyone!).
We just had a pretty awesome holiday season that started with a trip to Oklahoma for Thanksgiving.  My first time home for a holiday since 2005 and the FIRST EVER Thanksgiving in Oklahoma for the kiddos.  Christmas, of course, went by way too fast.  And now, here we are already into the New Year.  I can hardly believe that another year is gone and a new one has begun. 
Hope the holidays treated you well and that the New Year has many good things in store!

3 comments:

  1. Yay - you're back! And look at how cute those dang kids are. Adorable!

    You know, I just finished reading Sarah's Key and it was really good. I finished it in 4 days. And I got The Help for Christmas myself - and am excited about starting it. I also got the entire Girl w/ Dragon Tattoo series for my mom for Christmas and once she's done reading it, I'm going to borrow. You know what else I've heard is really good? The Hunger Games series. I bought that one for my SIL and will borrow it eventually too. Nothing like gifts that give twice! :)

    Anyway, happy new year and all that jazz. It's good to have you back in the blog world. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Look who's baaaack!

    Okay...I share your love of pop culture and a subscription to Us Weekly. I also love reading and have read half of Dragon Tattoo. I was NEVER interested. Ever. I finally quit reading it. I was so confused. Maybe I should be smarter before reading it.

    I'm now reading the Hunger Games trilogy. I'm on book 2. I can't put it down (except to blog)

    Dr. Quin? Whaaat? We may need to break up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Help is really, really good. Loved it. I'll have to check out Sarah's Key and I've been hearing good things about The Hunger Games. Have either of you read Matched? (I think that's the name of it) It's set in the future and everyone is, like, somehow matched from birth to the person they're going to marry. Anyway, it's about a girl who is matched, but then meets someone ELSE and falls in love with him.... Interesting concept.

    Push through Dragon Tattoo and then get The Girl Who Played with Fire. I felt the same way about Dragon Tattoo, it was sometimes a little hard to follow, but I was hooked on Fire almost immediately and couldn't put it down.

    And don't hate about Dr. Quinn. I mean... HELLO? Have you seen Sully? :o) Love me, love my Dr. Quinn addiction....

    ReplyDelete